Friday 28 September 2012

THIRD 24 HOURS (27th to 28th SEPT)



SO, EVERYONE, WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BEST EXPERIENCE OF THE CONFERENCE SO FAR?

IZZY: Today's community service day at the primary school in the townships was the best day of my life so far because the children were so happy and appreciative - it made me feel so guilty at any complaints I make. Even doing simple activities with them was so special, touching & rewarding, just to see how much they enjoyed it.

The most interesting person I met at the primary school was a 10 year old girl called Ruth, and she showed me round the school, read to me in English and wanted me to read to her as well. She also insisted on buying me some food from a stall outside the school - I have never met anyone like her - she was really happy and inquisitive, and so proud of her school.

SHONA: Also the Community Service with the children today, because I found it a lot of fun and felt like it had inspired me to do things beyond the limit and look at the world differently.

CHLOE: The best thing I've done so far is also the Community Service activity, because I enjoyed working with the children and being able to give back. I found it was a touching experience and unlike anything I've ever experienced before. I feel like I've managed to make people happy, even if it was through doing such a small activity. This experience has made me want to do more activities like this and make more of a difference.

GEN: Helping the children in the school showed me that even though they are poor and don't have much they are way happier with their lives than we are!

TIM: Yes, the community service was definitely the most memorable experience!


OK, SO THERE SEEMS TO BE A COMPLETE CONSENSUS THAT TODAY WAS AN INCREDIBLY SPECIAL DAY THAT YOU WILL ALL REMEMBER CLEARLY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES. BUT I GUESS IT ALSO MADE YOU RISE TO A HIGH LEVEL OF PERSONAL CHALLENGE. WHAT HAS BEEN THE MOST CHALLENGING EXPERIENCE OF THE CONFERENCE SO FAR FOR YOU, AND WHY?

SHONA: The most challenging thing has been getting out of my school group comfort zone and doing new things and meeting new people.

IZZY: Yes, at first I felt really out of my comfort zone to go up and talk to other delegates, so I found that quite challenging, but it has got so much easier with everyone being so welcoming.

CHLOE: For me the most challenging experience has been the 'Jump' motivational activities becaues they made me come out and talk to a large number of people I might not have spoken to otherwise and forced me to be more confident.

GEN: For me, it was being honest to myself in the 'Jump' session last night, because I realised some stuff about myself I didn't know and I found out stuff from other people that made me really sad.

SO IT SEEMS FOR YOU GIRLS, A MAJOR CHALLENGE HAS BEEN TO INTERACT SOCIALLY IN WAYS YOU ARE NOT USED TO, BUT AMAZING TO SEE HOW YOU'VE ALL GROWN IN CONFIDENCE IN THE LAST TWO DAYS! BOYS, HAS THE SOCIAL SIDE ALSO BEEN A CHALLENGE FOR YOU?

TIM: No, not really, for me painting the T-Shirts was the biggest challenge.

Tom VignolesFelsted School 
Deputy Head (Co-Curricular)






No comments:

Post a Comment