Saturday 5 October 2013

HOPES & EXPECTATIONS


DAY ONE: HOPES & EXPECTATIONS

As we set off across the Atlantic on Virgin Airlines VS005, our intrepid students are asked to reflect on the trip ahead.

SO, TEAM, WHAT WERE YOUR MOTIVATIONS FOR WANTING TO GO TO THE GLOBAL ROUND SQUARE CONFERENCE IN FLORIDA?

HUGH: I went to the European conference a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it. I felt it wanted to 'upgrade' to the international conference in order to push myself further than I have done before. I also enjoyed making loads of good friends last time, and there will be even more scope for it this year.
LUISE: Having been on a Round Square Conference two years ago, I had an idea of what I was expecting when applying for this year's conference. RSICs are always a week packed full of fun activities, inspiring and challenging speeches and meeting people from all over the world who you will connect to very quickly and make strong friendships with.
EMIL: Having never travelled out of Europe before, this trip sounded very appealing to me. Also because I wanted to see the different culture and get to know Florida. Meeting up with other round square students and talk about their experience, seemed very interesting and joyful.
CHLOE:- I really enjoyed myself on last years conference and found that it was a fun experience which enabled me to step out of my comfort zone and do things I wouldn't usually do. I wanted to have another opportunity to be able to step out of my comfort zone and meet new people from around the world.
SHONA: After experiencing the South Africa trip and enjoying the different challenges which round square has to offer I decided to challenge myself further and go on the Florida trip. Which I knew would take me more out of my comfort zone as I would be staying with someone completely new to me without any company of my Felsted companions, other then when I see them in the day and so I decided it would be a great opportunity
ANTHONY: I was inspired by the speech that the previous people who went on the conference gave and I wanted to take part in a conference that had effects beyond the Felsted bubble. When I heard that the conference was in Florida it confirmed my desire to go on this trip as I have wanted to go to Florida since I was a little child.

WHAT ARE YOU MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO?

HUGH: I'm really looking forward to spending time in Florida, and meeting new people.
LUISE: - probably meeting the people and being made to take a step out of my comfort zone. Also living with the host family.
EMIL: I'm looking forward to seeing Miami, spending time with my host family, and getting to know Saint Andrew's school.
CHLOE: Meeting my host family and spending time in Florida, as well as trying something new.
SHONA: Meeting new people and enjoying the experiences which Florida has to offer.
ANTHONY: I'm looking forward to staying with strangers and meeting new people.

LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE IS AGREED THAT MAKING NEW FRIENDS WILL BE A HIGHLIGHT BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL BE THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE FOR YOU?

HUGH: To be able to really get the most out of my time with hosts as well as at the conference.
LUISE: To go there without any too high expectations and not compare the other conferences I have been on and helped to organise.
EMIL: Not to gain an American accent!
CHLOE: To ensure that I do step out of my comfort zone and make the most of this opportunity.
SHONA: Not to be shy when I am staying at my hosts so I can get the most out of it.

SOUNDS LIKE THE TEAM REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT YET: ROUND SQUARE CONFERENCES ARE ALWAYS FULL OF SURPRISES! ARE YOU ALL ENJOYING THE FLIGHT?

HUGH: The flight is too long!
LUISE: We are a good travel group and had fun so far especially my seating companions.
CHLOE: I've enjoyed the company of Luise and Shona sitting next to me on the plane, however the people in front have managed to steal my leg room :(
SHONA: I've enjoyed the rather chatty company of Luise and Chloe even though the cramped leg space made us feel like mouses in a cage.
ANTHONY: The flight is boring, I was without in flight entertainment for 2 hours!!! 2 hours!!!!!

WELL IT SOUNDS LIKE THE TEAM WILL BE PLEASED WHEN WE FINALLY GET THERE! WATCH THIS SPACE FOR UPDATES...

Follow us on twitter: @FelstedRSIC

No comments:

Post a Comment